Establishes Minimum Standards for State Election Systems.
This legislation prescribes that states adopt "Minimum Standards" for state election systems, including that states:
- have a statewide voter registration system maintained by the Chief State Election Official;
- permit provisional voting;
- have a system for maintaining the accuracy of voter registration records;
- adopt uniform standards defining what constitutes a vote on the different types of voting equipment;
- ensure that absent uniformed and overseas voters have their votes counted;
- require new voting systems to provide a practical and effective means for voters with disabilities to cast a secret ballot; and
- gives voters the opportunity to correct errors.
The Commission and Department of Justice will monitor compliance and enforce these "Minimum Standards."